Saturday, November 12, 2011

The conversation cycle | COMMUNICATION SKILLS TRAINING



The conversation cycle (Figure 1 describes in a simple yet effective way the basic structure of many conversations. In particular, its main value is to allow the customer service representative (CSR) to effectively guide the interaction so that the customer feels valued, and the call achieves a satisfactory outcome in a short period of time. The whole conversation should have a balance between speaking and listening so that the customer feels he or she is being listened to and action is being taken.

 
Figure 1: The conversation cycle
It is especially important that the CSR takes responsibility for the conversation because it is less likely that the caller has the same degree of communication skills. If the CSR feels the other person is talking too much, or they are not making themselves clear, or that they don’t understand properly, then it may be the result of the CSR not using his or her communication skills effectively and he or she should recover the situation as quickly as possible:
  • Inform: Provide information/explanation so that the other person knows what you are doing or planning to do.
  • Invite: Invite the other person into the conversation or encourage them to make a response.
  • Listen: Stop talking and actively listen to the other person.
  • Acknowledge: Verbally acknowledge what they are saying by using: I appreciate; I understand; ok; I see, etc.
Once the cycle is completed you continue with ‘Inform’ and so the cycle begins once again, eg:
  • Inform: ‘Good morning/afternoon/evening, Home Banking, Jane speaking.’
  • Invite: ‘How may I help you today?’
  • Listen: ‘May I check my account balance, I need to see if I can pay a large bill?’
  • Acknowledge: ‘Yes, of course Mrs Jones. Just let me get you the details.’
  • Inform: ‘You have £867 in your account.’
  • Invite: ‘Would you like me to make a payment for you?’ etc.

1 comment:

  1. In the beginning, I would like to thank you much about this great post. Its very useful and helpful for anyone looking for tips to help him learn and master English. I like your writing style and I hope to keep this good working. I hope to find more resources here to help me improve my English skills for free. Thanks once again for your efforts regarding this topic and I hope to read more topics like this. Have fun and keep good working.

    spoken english classes near anna nagar | spoken english classes in anna nagar chennai | best spoken english classes in anna nagar | spoken english class anna nagar

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...